20 Beauty Myths
So sit back, relax & enjoy!
- Pumping your mascara brush makes for better application
You may think you’re picking up more mascara, but actually air is being pumped into the mascara tube, making your mascara dry out and go clumpy. This leads to dry, flaky lashes and bacteria in the mascara tube. Instead, swirl the wand inside the tube to pick up more mascara.
- Once your blush shatters after dropping it, it’s done
Hang on to that shattered makeup, ladies. All you need to do is pour rubbing alcohol into the broken compact or container and gently mix until the makeup turns to a clay consistency. Wait for the product to dry and you are set with makeup that’s good as new!
- Wearing makeup every day is bad for your skin
While wearing tons of makeup can be heavy on your skin , wearing makeup on a daily basis won’t actually make your skin worse. Although, a day with no makeup feels great! The real cause of skin damage is leaving makeup on overnight.
- Your shampoo familiarizes itself to your hair and no longer performs
It’s great to change up hair products, it’s not absolutely necessary. If your hair is feeling flat, dry or damaged after continued use of one specific shampoo, don’t blame the shampoo! Usually, the problem is due to build up from hairsprays, serums & oils. If this happens, try a clarifying shampoo once a week.
- Filing your nails can be done in any direction
Always file your nails in the same direction, this makes your nails to grow faster and longer. Filing from both directions on one nail can lead to breakage and peeling.
- Steam opens pores
Let’s be clear on one thing, pores do not have muscles or hinges, no amount of steam or cold water will open and close them! Steam will simply help to loosen the dirt inside.
- If you leave your hair for long enough it will begin to clean itself
A clean scalp and hair equals a healthier scalp and hair. When left for 3-4 days the scalp can become flaky, itchy and uncomfortable with a mild tenderness and the hair itself will become dull and lank. So wash your hair!
- You'll eventually outgrow acne
In fact, women in their 20s, 30s, 40s, and even 50s can have acne just like teenagers, and the treatment for it remains the same.
- Expensive cosmetics are better than inexpensive
The absolute truth is that there are good and bad products in all price categories. It's all about the formulation, not the price
- It's good when your products cool or tingle skin
This sensation is your skin telling you it is being irritated, not helped.
- Blackheads relate to cleanliness and can be scrubbed away
Blackheads may make your skin look dirty, but they are unrelated to dirt
- Antioxidants can make wrinkles go away
While antioxidants help ward off free radicals, they can't make existing wrinkles disappear.
- Popping a spot is fine if only done once in awhile
Please try your hardest to leave your skin alone, especially during a breakout! Messing with a spot will spread oil and bacteria to the clean parts of your skin.
- Obsessive face washing can eliminate acne
We know it seems backward, but over washing your face will dry it out and remove natural oils. Stick to washing your face twice-daily, once in the morning and once at night.
- Tanning in the sun clears up bad skin
Sun exposure just causes additional skin irritation and damage. Make sure to cover your face with a good oil-free sunblock to prevent any irritation if you're going to be out in the sun.
- Certain cleansers can make your pores smaller
Pore size is genetic, there are tons of products out there claiming to shrink the size of your pores, they don't work to minimize pores permanently. What they can do is temporarily make your pores appear smaller
- Matching eye shadow will make your eye color pop
Actually, contrasting your eye makeup with your eye color is what will really stand out. Here are a couple recommendations based on your eye colour
- Green/Hazel: Plum, deep browns, and light golden hues
- Blue: Smoky charcoals, chocolate, and bright berry tones
- Brown: Soft pinks, natural beige, and shades of bronze
- Cutting your hair will make hair grow faster
I wish this one was true, but your hair will grow at its own pace (usually about half an inch per month) no matter how many trims you get. Don't just stop getting your hair trimmed, as it will look much healthier without the split ends!
- You don't need sunscreen on a cloudy day
The sun's damaging UV rays are still in full effect even on a cloudy day.
- You Only Need One Foundation Colour All Year
You may think that your skin tone doesn't change throughout the year, but it does. Even if you're someone who doesn't spend a lot of time in the sun, your skin still slightly changes from season to season. Don't be one of those people who walks around with a face that doesn't match their neck! (not a good look)